Pregnancy is the development of one or more off spring in a women's uterus. Child birth usually occurs 38-40 weeks after conception.
Women's body goes through many changes during pregnancy.These changes are classified into three.
- Physiological changes
- Anatomical changes
- Hormonal changes
A women's body has to adapt itself to the growing fetus inside the uterus. The changes are as follows.
Since the pregnant woman is responsible for the nourishment of growing baby her blood volume slowly increases by 40-50%. Over the course of pregnancy. This increases the heart rate and cardiac out put.
During pregnancy half the nourishment goes to the fetus through placenta. So there is a increase in the nutritional requirement of pregnant women. Pregnant women will require a calorie increase of 300kcal/day.
During pregnancy women experience nausea and vomiting which is due to B-HCG. There increase in acid reflux. And constipation.
There is generalized increased in joint laxity and joint range. Due to increase in weight there is change in center of gravity
Women compensate to the increase weight by adjusting their posture. In most of the cases there is increased lumbar lordosis.
Generally there is increase in about 10-12Kgs during pregnancy.
Size of the breast also increases as it prepares itself for lactation.
One of the major changes, occurring in a women body during pregnancy, is the changes in the level of various hormones that in turn brings some alterations in the normal mechanism of the body. The changes are:
- Reduced tone of muscle increases acidity and constipation.
- Urinary tract infection increases
- Increase in growth of uterus and breast duct
- Inhibition of uterine contraction during pregnancy.
Things to keep in mind before joining exercise programme and during exercise programme:
For some condition exercise is strictly contraindicated. So if pregnant women have any of the following conditions she should not take up an exercise program. The conditions are as follows.
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Acute infection
- History of recurrent miscarriage
- Pregnancy induced uncontrolled hypertension/uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
- Thrombo phlebitis or pulmonary embolism
Pregnant women should be very careful while doing exercises. She should keep in her mind the following.
- Jerky, bouncy, ballistic movements should be avoided.
- A careful warm up and cool down should be followed.
- Fluid must be taken before, during and after exercise to avoid dehydration
Exercise should be stopped immediately if the following signs and symptoms are experienced and would need medical attention.
- Any signs of the bloody discharge from the vagina
- Any gush of fluid from vagina
- Sudden swelling of ankles, hands & face
- Any kind of faintness or dizziness
- Unexpected abdominal pain
- Absence or reduced fetal movements
Benefits of exercise during pregnancy:
Exercise during pregnancy has lot of benefits. Some are as follow.
- It helps in relaxation in general
- It increases the blood supply to the growing baby
- It strengths the lower extremities for demands of increased weight bearing.
- It prepares the mind for labour and post natal period
- It gives a "feel good factor" there by helping in coping with mood swings during pregnancy.
- Regular exercise stretches and strengthens muscles which help body to cope better with the aches and pains of pregnancy.
Exercise programme @ Relive Orthopaedic Physiotherapy & Wellness Clinic
At our clinic we give a complete exercise programme which will help the pregnant women to have smooth pregnancy and labour. Our exercise programme is designed after taking a thorough assessment of the pregnant women our exercise programme includes.
- Introduction to pregnancy, Physiological and anatomical change: We give a brief explanation about how pregnancy is going to bring changes both physically and functionally.
- Postural education & diet: We educate the pregnant women about good posture and bad posture, also helping them understand about the body mechanics during pregnancy. We also provide them a diet which can be followed during pregnancy.
- Exercise sessions:Our exercise sessions include a combination of the following and more:
- Breathing Exercise
- Pelvic floor exercises.(kegel exercise)
- Tailor press
- Exercise on medicine ball
- Leg lift
- Calf exercise
- Ankle toe movement
- Leg swings
- Lameez Breathing technique (helpful during labour)
- Education on mother & baby care, breast feeding, latching techniques and breast care.
- Apart from these programme we also have discussions about various problems faced during pregnancy, labour and how to over come those problems.
For information about class timings and additional information about class or any other additional information please click on Ante natal And Post natal brochure